Spring has officially sprung! These Naturally Flavored Water recipes slay the beverage game and are perfect for your blooming brunch. They embody the fresh and fun colors of spring and beat out that canned sugary drink any day.
It’s no secret…our country is hooked on sugary drinks. Sodas, juices, coffee concoctions, you name it. Many of these beverages are loaded with added sugars that can increase our risk for things like excess weight gain and chronic diseases. A 44 oz. soda can have up to 128 grams of sugar in it. That’s about 32 teaspoons of sugar (wtf!)
So what are some alternatives to these sugar-laden drinks? One answer: with gorgeous and deliciously infused water. The recipes we’re featuring today are fresh, simple, and zesty. Some of the ingredients we’re using include grapefruit, blackberries, sage, cucumber, thyme, and more. The subtle flavors in naturally flavored water are a great way to switch things up, and get excited about drinking more water.
And speaking about drinking more water, we just did an article on 10 Easy Ways to Drink More Water. Many clients we work with struggle to meet the recommended amount of water for their needs for a wide variety of reasons. In this article, we offer some of our most effective hydration tips, and one of them include doing exactly what we are doing for these recipes…naturally infusing your water! Check it out for more ideas on ways to increase your water intake.
Now, let’s get started on these beauties. Add the ingredients for each flavored water to a one quart jar or container. The trick to releasing more flavor is to squeeze ingredients like grapefruit and lime into the jar first and then add them in. For ingredients like blackberries, you can muddle with a spoon in the jar or puncture with a fork to release color and flavor. Once all your ingredients are in, pour in the water, and refrigerate overnight for maximum flavor. You’re all done!
Are you giving these a try? Let us know how they come out for you. Also let us know in the comments below what your favorite water infusions are!
- 4 cinnamon sticks
- 1 small green apple, sliced in wedges
- 1/2 medium cucumber
- 2 sprigs of thyme
- 1/2 small grapefruit, sliced in rounds
- 1/2 cup blackberries
- 3-4 sage leaves
- 1/2 lime, sliced in rounds
- Add the ingredients for each flavored water to a 1 quart jar or container
- To release more flavor, you can squeeze ingredients like grapefruit and lime into the jar first and then add in
- For ingredients like blackberries, you can muddle with a spoon in the jar or puncture with a fork to release color and flavor
- Once all your ingredients are in, pour in the water, and refrigerate overnight for maximum flavor. Enjoy!
- The lime skins from the Blackberry Sage water adds a unique bitterness. If you're not a fan of bitter, we recommend you simply squeeze the lime in vs adding the sliced limes!