You’re going to love our 5 minute Pepperjack Protein Tacos! As a vegetarian, I’m constantly looking for ways to boost my protein intake after an intense weight training workout. Out of all the proteins that exist, eggs are actually the best source, according to the PDCAAS or Protein Digestibility Corrected Amino Acid Score (yes, there are actually people who have the job of breaking down proteins and ranking them according to their amino acid content and ratio). These egg tacos were oh-so-tasty and only took 5 minutes in total to make. At 21 grams of pro per serving, they’re literally PERFECT for helping your muscle fibers repair themselves after strength training.
As I said before, the beans and eggs are add a phenomenal amount of protein. The eggs in this not only provide plenty of protein, but they also provide healthy fats, selenium, vitamin D, vitamin B6, vitamin B12, zinc, iron, and copper. You can see why we love eggs so much!
Begin by preheating your oven to 400F. Once the oven is ready, heat up the corn tortillas for about 3 minutes. While these heat, mix spinach, eggs, and onion in a bowl. Now you have two options: you can cook the egg mixture on the stovetop or in the microwave. Take your pick. If you choose to use the stovetop, start by adding a teaspoon of oil and scramble at low heat. Then melt the pepperjack on top of the mixture. If you choose to use the microwave, cook on high for one minute and then stir and add a slice of pepperjack. Continue cooking for another minute until the eggs are done and the cheese is melted. Take your tortilla and spread the beans on top and then add the eggs. Top this puppy off with a few chunks of avocado and olives, sprinkle with garlic powder, salt, and pepper. Enjoy! What do you think of the eggs in a taco?! Let us know what you think in the comments below!
- 2 eggs
- 2 corn tortillas
- 1/4 cup of black beans (mashed or Trader Joes’ Fat Free Refried)
- 1 slice of pepperjack cheese
- 1/4 cup of chopped spinach
- 1 tablespoon of chopped onion
- 1/4 avocado, cubed
- Garlic powder, salt and black pepper to taste
- Optional: 8 pitted Kalamata olives
- Preheat oven at 400 degrees
- Once oven is hot, add corn tortillas for 3 minutes to heat up
- Mix chopped spinach, eggs and onion in a bowl
- You can either cook egg mixture on stovetop or in microwave. For stovetop, add a teaspoon of oil and scramble at low heat, then melt pepperjack atop the egg mixture. If cooking in microwave, cook on high heat for 1 minute, then stir, add slice of pepperjack and continue cooking for another minute until done.
- Heat up bean mixture in microwave or in saucepan
- Spread beans on top of tortillas, then add cooked eggs
- Top with a few chunks of avocado and olives
- Sprinkle garlic powder, salt and pepper to taste
- Serves 2 if snack and 1 if meal.