Spiced Apple Oatmeal Breakfast Bowl is my favorite way to wake up in the morning. The delicious simplicity of this recipe will allow you to enjoy the soothing stillness of the AM. Albeit you don’t forget the coffee.
Oatmeal is a great vehicle for a very nutritious meal. Not only is it excellent on its own, but it can be loaded with other healthy ingredients like we’ve done here. One of the most powerful nutrition compoents of oatmeal is the fact that it’s a whole grain. Oatmeal is also a great source iron, fiber, and other vitamins and minerals. In this recipe, we chose to decorate our oatmeal with chia seeds, which are a good source of protein, omega-3 fatty acids (aka: healthy fats), and fiber.
Now that we’ve established that oatmeal is a good way to start the day, let’s get into the recipe recipe. In a small pot, start by bringing the almond milk to a boil, and add the oats. Cook for 5 minutes over low-medium heat. While all of that is happening, heat the coconut oil in a pan, and add the cubed apple. Add a pinch of cinnamon, and sauté for 2-3 minutes over low heat. Once the oatmeal is done, add it to a bowl, top with the cooked apples, almonds, coconut flakes, and chia seeds. Drizzle maple syrup, for that sweet finish!
The delicious fusion of the flavors from the apples, almonds, coconut, and maple syrup is definitely going to be one that will pull you out of that bed each morning! What additions do you like to toss in your oatmeal? Comment below and let us know what you think!
- 1 cup unsweetened almond milk
- 1/2 cup uncooked rolled oats
- 1 teaspoon coconut oil
- 1 small apple, cubed with the skin on
- Pinch of cinnamon
- 5 almonds, chopped or slivered
- 1 tablespoon unsweetened coconut flakes
- 1 teaspoon chia seeds
- 1 teaspoon maple syrup
- In a small pot, start by bringing the almond milk to a boil, and add the oats
- Cook for 5 minutes over low-medium heat
- While that's happening, heat the coconut oil in a pan, and add the cubed apple
- Add a pinch of cinnamon, and sauté for 2-3 minutes over low heat
- Once the oatmeal is done, add it to a bowl, top with the cooked apples, almonds, coconut flakes, and chia seeds
- Drizzle maple syrup, for a sweet finish!