Looking for that extra crunch to your day? Our DIY Kale Cheddar Chips will do just that without breaking the bank! If you’re anything like me, I like my snacks to have a nice crisp to them while I’m munching. So these give me just that fix.
I know we have all heard about kale from every direction. It is a super trendy food, but for good reason. Kale falls into the category of dark green leafy vegetables – and if you have heard about these at all, you know that they are loaded with nutrients. Kale is a powerhouse full of vitamin K, A, and C, folate, B vitamins, copper, manganese, and fiber. Just one cup of kale provides your daily value for vitamin A and vitamin C for the day. You will also save some money by making your own homemade snacks rather than buying packaged products.
You’ll need about 3 cups of kale for these bad boys. Start by cutting the kale into 3-4 inch pieces and then spread them evenly onto a lightly oil-sprayed baking pan. Sprinkle some cheddar cheese, paprika, and cayenne pepper on the leaves. Top them off by drizzling some olive oil over all of them. Pop the little green machines into the oven for about 12-15 minutes or until the chips are crispy. Keep a close eye on and remove them immediately while they bake to avoid overcooking and turning them into kale ashes.
I like to make these early in the week to have on hand for a healthy snack throughout the rest of the week. They make for an easy, healthy, and tasty snack so you can keep it healthy while you’re on the run. How do you feel about swapping kale chips out for your average potato chips? Let us know what you think in the comments below!
- 3 cups of kale
- 2 tablespoons of shredded cheddar cheese
- 1 tablespoon of olive oil
- 1 teaspoon of smoked paprika and cayenne pepper (mixed)
- Salt to taste
- Cut the kale into 3-4 inch pieces.
- Spread evenly onto a lightly oil-sprayed baking pan. (you may have to work in 2-3 batches unless you have a large pan)
- Sprinkle cheddar cheese and spices evenly on kale.
- Drizzle olive oil on kale.
- Bake at 325F for 12-15 minutes or until kale chips are crispy.
- Remove from the oven immediately to avoid kale ashes.
- Top with salt to taste. Enjoy!