This week we’re bringing you this insanely delicious Roasted Winter Root Vegetable Salad. I got tons of winter vegetables as part of my weekly CSA share, and had no idea what to do with all of them. I figured the easiest and most practical thing to do would be to throw them all in the oven before they went bad. And that’s exactly what this recipe is. The vegetables included in this recipe are beets, carrots, turnips, and parsnips.
I think it’s safe to say beets and carrots are more popular than the latter two. Have any of you tried cooking with parsnips or turnips? They’re absolutely delicious and filling, and make for a great addition to stews and salads. Parsnips closely resemble carrots, but are less sweet and a bit starchier. Turnips are less starchy than parsnips, and flavor depends on how large the vegetable is. The bigger it is, the more bitter it gets.
We’ll be using sage to bring all of the different flavors together that each vegetable contributes. Sage has a strong and unique flavor profile, and is super aromatic! It pairs well with the sweetness from the beets and carrots.
Let’s get started on our delicious Roasted Winter Root Vegetable Salad, shall we? Start by preheating the oven to 450F. Add all of the vegetables to a baking sheet and top with the fresh sage leaves. Then drizzle the coconut oil evenly onto the sage and vegetables, and pop into the oven. Bake for 15 minutes, and then flip the vegetables and bake for another 10 minutes. Remove from the oven, and serve the roasted vegetables onto 2 plates. Top with chopped walnuts, and finish with salt and black pepper, to taste. You can also add whatever nuts or seeds you love if walnuts aren’t around!
Which of these vegetables are your favorites to use in the kitchen? Drop us a line in the comments below!
- 2 medium beets, peeled and quartered
- 1 medium turnip, peeled and quartered
- 3 medium parsnips, peeled and halved lengthwise
- 4 medium carrots, peeled and halved lengthwise
- 6-8 fresh sage leaves
- 1 tablespoon coconut oil
- 1/4 cup walnuts, chopped
- Salt and black pepper, to taste
- Preheat the oven to 450F
- Add all of the vegetables to a baking sheet and top with the fresh sage leaves
- Drizzle the coconut oil evenly onto the sage and vegetables, and pop into the oven
- Bake for 15 minutes, and then flip the vegetables and bake for another 10 minutes
- Remove from the oven, and serve the vegetables onto 2 plates
- Top with chopped walnuts, and finish with salt and black pepper, to taste. Enjoy!