Looking for something to do with the overload of squash this winter? This Roasted Kale Butternut Squash is a toasty little addition to any meal, and the perfect touch in these chilly, winter months.
I’ve been bingeing on the squash this winter, so here is just one more recipe to prove it. If you are not familiar with butternut squash, it is usually a beige colored gourd with a similar taste to sweet potato. Butternut squash is also full of important nutrients that fall in the carotenoid family. Carotenoids are red/orange veggies that are a fantastic source of magnesium, potassium, vitamin A, vitamin C, and other antioxidants to keep you healthy throughout that flu season!
As if the butternut squash weren’t nutritious enough, we’re throwing in some kale too. Kale falls into the category of dark green leafy vegetables, which are loaded with nutrients. Kale is a powerhouse full of vitamin K, A, and C, folate, B vitamins, copper, manganese, and fiber. Just one cup provides your daily value for vitamin A and vitamin C for the day, so this recipe is exactly what your body needs to stay healthy!
Start off by preheating the oven to 450F. Slice the butternut squash in half, lengthwise, and scoop out the seeds. Then place the squash face down on a baking dish and add 1 cup of water to the bottom of the dish. Bake for 40 minutes. While the squash is in the oven, heat 2 teaspoons of olive oil and add the garlic. Sauté this for 1-2 minutes, add kale, and sauté for another couple of minutes. Salt kale, to taste.
Once the squash is done, allow to cool, and then using a fork, mash the insides. Add the kale sauté, and mix it with the butternut squash. Top with breadcrumbs, 1 teaspoon of olive oil, and (optional) parmesan cheese for a nice crispy finish. Place the stuffed squash back onto the baking dish. Lower the oven temperature to 400F, and broil for 7-10 minutes, or once the edges have browned and enjoy!
Geez…just decribing this dish makes me feel warm and cozy. Pair with your favorite fuzzy socks and prepare to melt all of your troubles away!
How simple and easy does this sound? Let us know what you think of our Roasted Kale Butternut Squash in the comments below!
- 1 medium butternut squash
- 3 teaspoons of olive oil
- 3 cloves garlic, minced
- 2 cups kale, chopped
- Salt, to taste
- 1 teaspoon breadcrumbs
- Optional: 1 teaspoon parmesan cheese
- Preheat the oven to 450F
- Slice the butternut squash lengthwise, in half
- Scoop out the seeds and place the squash facing down, on a baking dish
- Add 1 cup of water to the bottom of the dish, and bake the squash for 40 minutes
- While the squash is in the oven, heat 2 teaspoons of olive oil and add the garlic.
- Sauté for 1-2 minutes, add the kale, and sauté for another couple of minutes
- Salt the kale, to taste
- Once the squash is done, allow to cool, and then using a fork, mash up the insides
- Add in the kale sauté, and mix it with the butternut squash
- Top with breadcrumbs, 1 teaspoon of olive oil, and (optional) parmesan cheese
- Place the stuffed squash back onto the baking dish
- Lower the oven temperature to 400F, and broil for 7-10 minutes, or once the edges have browned