You might be thinking “what the heck is that?” when you see this recipe. Delicious is what it is! This Shakshuka recipe will perfect your brunch menu this weekend. Invite some friends over and show them how well traveled you are with this cultural dish.
Shakshuka is a staple dish throughout the Middle East. It is a traditional dish consisting of eggs poached in tomatoes, chili peppers, onions, and often is spiced with cumin. Eggs are actually the best source, according to the PDCAAS or Protein Digestibility Corrected Amino Acid Score (yes, there are actually people who have the job of breaking down proteins and ranking them according to their amino acid content and ratio). The eggs in this not only provide plenty of protein, but they also provide healthy fats, selenium, vitamin D, vitamin B6, vitamin B12, zinc, iron, and copper. You might be able to understand why we love eggs so much!
In a skillet, saute your onions and peppers in some olive oil for about five minutes over a medium flame. Next, you’ll want to add your tomato sauce and cook with the peppers and onions for another 3-4 minutes. Crack the eggs into different corners of the skillet. Cover the skillet and cook for about 10 minutes. Finish it off by sprinkling with salt and pepper to taste. Add a touch of your favorite herbs to make this dish all yours!
Pair this with some breakfast toast and your morning cup of coffee. We tossed some rosemary into this dish but you can use anything! Oregano, parsley, rosemary, you name it. What herbs would you add to this one? Let us know in the comments below! xo
- 4 eggs
- 1 cup of tomato sauce
- 1/2 medium red pepper, chopped
- 1/2 medium red onion, chopped
- 1/2 jalapeño pepper, deseeded and chopped
- 1 tablespoon of olive oil
- Salt & Pepper (+ your fav fresh herbs- we used rosemary)
- In a skillet, sauté onion and peppers with olive oil for 5 minutes under medium flame
- Add tomato sauce, and cook with onions and peppers for 3-4 minutes
- Crack each egg into a different corner of the skillet pan, and cover
- Allow to cook for 10 minutes.
- Finish with salt and pepper to taste. Decorate with your favorite herbs!