In gearing up for my upcoming Jamaica trip, I got a little too excited and went out to buy a whole bunch of tropical fruit (my brain just works that way.) I made these papaya bowls for breakfast, and they were a total hit. Super filling and simple to put together, and absolutely no cooking involved. The best part is that you can fill these with whatever you want- berries, banana, granola- the list goes on. Note that this recipe is pretty low in calories, and so you should have it as a side piece to your breakfast meal.
First you take your papaya. Slice it in half and scoop out the seeds. Next, you’ll slice the prickly pear into rounds. Finally, fill the papaya halves with yogurt and top with fruit, pecans, and cinnamon. Simple as that! Pair this with a couple of eggs or a small bowl of oatmeal for a complete, satisfying, and high protein breakfast!
Papaya is such an magnificent fruit. Not only is it gorgeous, but it has a beautiful array of nutrients. The vibrant orange color of the fruit adds to the carotenoid composition, which have a high antioxidant function and tons of vitamin A. If you want to keep rolling on the vitamin and mineral train, add berries, banana, kiwi, or any other fruits you can think of to the papaya. You can add any other nuts such as almonds or walnuts for extra crunch!
The world is yours with this dish. What are your favorite fruits to add? Let us know how creative you get in the comments section below! Xo
- 1 small papaya
- 1/2 cup of plain Greek yogurt
- 1/2 prickly pear
- 1 tablespoon of pecans, chopped
- 1 tablespoon of pomegranate seeds
- A pinch of cinnamon powder
- Slice the papaya in half, and scoop all the seeds out.
- Slice the prickly pear in rounds.
- Fill papaya halves with yogurt, and top with fruit, pecans and cinnamon. Enjoy!
- The best part about this recipe is you can use whatever fruit you want for the filling- same goes for the nuts and spices. Have fun with it!