I enjoy cereals as a quick breakfast option, and have found it so overwhelming to find a product that is nutrient-packed without all the added sugar. The ones that I have found are so pricey, and can’t be found in my local supermarket. During my recent trip to Jamaica, Kalisa prepared an amazing homemade granola cereal. It was so good that I thought “what have I been doing my whole life not making this myself?” So, I made my own damn cereal. This recipe is packed with all the nutrition you’ll ever need, and can be enjoyed with yogurt, milk, or on it’s own. If you’re intimidated by the thought of making your own cereal, stop right there! This coconut chia granola cereal is super fun and simple to make!
We are going to start off by combining some rolled oats, chopped almonds, pecans, and chia seeds. Once that is evenly mixed, we will add the oil and maple syrup. Once all combined on a baking pan, we’ll pop that baby into the oven for about an hour and twenty minutes, making sure to rotate the ingredients every 20 minutes. Time for the sweet stuff: after cooking, add the coconut flakes and dried cranberries.
There are so many fun perks to this recipe. First, the versatility of the granola makes the recipe great for those of you on the go. You can eat it as a cereal with some milk (regular milk, almond milk, or any other type of milk), as a granola to top your yogurt with some berries, or as a snack if you need something crunchy to munch on to get you to 5 o’clock. Second, the coconut chia granola cereal is cheaper to make on your own than to buy commercially made granolas and cereals. Finally, as we mentioned before, it is an excellent alternative to the sugar-laden cereals that cover most grocery stores.
The chia seeds in the recipe have many benefits. Chia seeds offer a healthy dose of antioxidants, fiber, manganese, phosphorous, magnesium, calcium, and iron. The chia will also help give this yummy granola a nice nutty flavor! Have you guys used chia seeds before? How many of you make your own cereals? Let us know in the comments below what kind!
- 2 cups of rolled oats
- 3/4 cup of almonds, chopped
- 1/2 cup pecans, chopped
- 1/2 cup coconut flakes
- 2 tablespoons of chia seeds
- 2 tablespoons of dried cranberries
- 2 tablespoons vegetable oil
- 2 tablespoons of maple syrup
- Preheat oven to 260F
- In a baking pan, add oats, almonds, pecans, & chia seeds. With a spoon mix them together.
- Add vegetable oil & maple syrup. Mix in with a spoon.
- Pop into the oven and bake @250F for 1hr 20 min or until oats are crisp. Make sure to rotate the ingredients in the pan every 20 min.
- Remove from the oven and top with coconut flakes and dried fruit.
- Enjoy with yogurt, milk, or as a snack!
- Store in an airtight container in the fridge for up to 1 week.